Header image
Geschichtsfrënn Bartreng asbl


Home

News

History

Committee

Contact

To be a member

We need

Publications

Gallery

Links


 
3 1 2

History


Since the year 1912 the communal territory has been fixed at 1739 hectares. This more or less elliptically- shaped territory presents a spur north of the railway line and includes the Tossenberg as well as a small stretch of the route d’Arlon. Bertrange forms the extreme Western part of the Canton de Luxembourg. The territory presents itself as a gently slope and valley - shaped configuration ranging from West to East.

At the beginning of the 19th century Bertrange counted a population of 679 inhabitants. A spectacular increase of the population in the sixties of the last century brought it up in 2015 to some 7400 inhabitants.

During the Roman period Luxembourg, situated in the Northern Gaul, formed part of the province Gallia Belgica englobed in the administrative entity of the Civitas Treverorum. After the Gallic War ( 58 to 50 B.C.) the Legate Vipsanius Agrippa, installed by Julius Caesar, developed roadwork nets. The big axes Reims-Trier-Cologne or Metz-Trier-Cologne allow the creation of numerous settlements like the vicuses of Dahlheim, Titelberg ,Wasserbillig, Niederanven or Tossenberg. Beside the relay of Tossenberg with its inns, cow-sheds, horse stables, taverns and booths located at Bertrange-Bourmicht. This probably was already a Celtic agricultural exploitation at the time of Caesar’s conquest; the heyday of the domain situates itself between the first and the third century of our era . The archeological excavations could bring to light the farming outbuildings, a fortified attic and sculptures stones forming part of a mausoleum, a large-scale funeral monument. So far the very villa has not yet been excavated. While digging the agricultural outbuildings, the archeologists made an astonishing discovery. Thirteen Merovingian tombs of the end of the sixth century were found in the Roman ruins. In spite of the pillaging of the tombs, it was possible to find in the tomb of a distinguished personality, fibulas, golden pendants or ear-drops, molten glass pearls and an amulet in rock-crystal.


The Franks ( 459-963 ) gave our locality the name, i.e. the name of a local Frank chief “Bert” or ”Bertho” flanked by the suffix “ingen/ange”, thus indicating that the village belonged to the chief Bert.

In the Middle-Ages, and more precisely in 1171, the castle of Bertrange, situated in the very middle of the present-day village , was destroyed by the Count Henry of Luxembourg. The parish is mentioned a first time in a document from 1128. Its localization at the periphery of the town of Luxembourg made that at each siege of the town, the village was pillaged and set on fire. During the Thirty-Years’ War, the pestilence decimated half of the population.


In the 18th and 19th centuries, the village remained basically agricultural: the farmers, either owners, day-labourers or journeymen form the majority of the population. The number of inhabitants increases but slowly. The development of the chalk industry and the realization of a railway line create stable workplaces and allow the village to make first strides ahead.


During the Second World War Bertrange was also exposed to the Nazi dictatorship: rare were the families who did not suffer the loss of a near relative engaged in the Resistance or as a forced conscript. The military operations during the liberation of Bertrange of September 9, 1944 were characterized by the tank battle of Grevels-Barrière between Merl and Dippach. Here the tanks of the 5th America army under the command of General Lunsford E. Oliver faced the armoured German Mark V tanks.


The settlement of big petrol firms, a cement concrete factory and huge commercial centres as well as the creation of the activity zone of Bourmicht allowed the spectacular development of the Commune after World War II.


With its multicultural population, the proliferating activities of the numerous cultural and sports associations , the areas of commercial and service providing activities , its cycling and pedestrian circuits ,its public spaces ,its parks, its forest belt and its widely intact environment , Bertrange has a lot to offer and seduce.